2 Aug 2013

Job Interviews | How, What, When, Why

Hey everyone, so you've made it!

 All that hoping and praying to get the job that you truly want have been answered... 
So you've been waiting for an interview and you finally got that response call/ email; now all you need is an outfit that will justify your personality and work ethic... Trust me this is nerve racking, not knowing what to wear, so many questions to be answered, do I wear this to the interview? Is this too short? Is this appropriate?

Calm down and Prepare. 
I hope by writing this blog you will have an idea what to wear without looking too over the top and hopefully make a good impression that will get you the job! Depending on what job you want, there a few steps to consider... But for me personally I would love a career in retail and fashion; to be specific a fashion stylist would be ideal...

Preparation:
First things first, once you've found out the time, date, and place of the meeting, sort out how you will get there - you surely do not want to be late, or have trouble finding the place (this is if the interview is at another store).

Secondly, don't forget to bring your resume and covering letter (if you have one) to the interview - this means that you are organized and prepared just incase the interviewer isn't (probably unlikely).

Thirdly, definitely do some research on the business you've applied for, this will help you alot with answering questions down the track, [refer to examples below] but also do check out the store to see how the staff behave/act towards customers or even talk to someone who works there.

Lastly number four. Practise!
 This will boost your confidence, calm your nerves and give you an idea on how to answer questions plus get tips from your family/friends. Incase a question comes into the conversation you will be able to answer it with ease.

Outfit Ideas: From head to toe

This part can be stressful, fun, exciting or easy depending who you are and how much experience you've had at job interviews... This is where the interviewer wants to see your personality, but still dress appropriate. Depending what the job is, you'll have something in your wardrobe that will hopefully fit for a job interview. For instance, go for blazers, a button-down blouse and black pants (that fit well) - these ones are your safe bet, whilst still looking presentable. Choosing an outfit for an interview doesn't always have to be monochrome, you can still add a little colour to spice up your outfit. How about a cardigan, thin belt or possibly a statement necklace - these will make the outfit a bit more interesting.When it comes to shoes, choose a little wedge heel or flats - never sandals! Hairdo - keep this simple, a ponytail (hair tucked behind the ears) will do or even be a bunhead.

Appearance is important!

  • Try not to look grubby. 
  • Hair, nails and clothes should be presentable.
  • Don't overdo the makeup and no dark/neon lipstick - keep it simple, nude coloured lips!
  • Don't expose cleavage, straps, stomach - if your top is see through wear a singlet or change tops
  • Don't wear a mini-skirt/short dress that shows too much leg or bottom - you never know who wears what
  • Shoes - sandals, thongs and your clubbing heels are a NO GO!

Here are three outfits I would wear to a job interview...




1) Top - Target
Pants - Forever New
Bag - Sportsgirl
2) Top - Forever New
Pants - From a friend
Boots - Valleygirl
Necklace - Colette

3) Blazer - Temt
Top - Universal
Pants - Melrose ave
Boots - Valleygirl


Also, I thought to write down two example question's I came across whilst applying for a job.

 EXAMPLES:
  
  • I love fashion because I can incorporate my personality and mood through my particular style. My personal style would be eclectic, edgy and classy. My fashion icons are...
 Why do you want to work here? Possible example:
  •  I would like to work for [store], because I know I will do my best to keep the customers satisfied with getting the latest look, for whatever occasion. I also would love to work with [store] as I can see myself being a good representative and my personality suits the clothing.



Oh and if you didn't know, I post videos on Youtube and I just did one on Job Interview outfits!
So if you're stuck, check it out and I hope it'll help; if not, leave a comment
and I'll do another one in more detail.  With these tips I hope you have a rough idea on what to wear and how to answer questions. Good luck and I hope you get the job!

Ps. Sorry that this is a tad long but don't forget to smile, be cheery, positive and look interested.


Love Kathy
xxx











Photo Disclaimer: I do not own these photosets, but all opinions are my own.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© KATHYZAHARA | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig